2020 has been a year that nobody expected however it has been a year where many have taken the time to truly reflect on the things they are grateful for. Here at HTA we too want to reflect on what we are grateful for – and maybe brag a little about what we have accomplished with your help.
- Master trail plan approval – adding over 25 miles of approved trails. The team at the Tonto National Forest is awesome and they recognized the need to expand, maintain, educate, and install signage by supporting HTA’s vision that was a direct result of the public’s feedback. Let’s take a minute and reflect on how awesome to have accomplished this in less than 2 years – with all of your help, a dedicated advisory board and countless volunteer hours.
- New trails – HTA recently completed one new trail, and one re-route in the system: High Ridge & Alp D Huez, creating a killer 2.7 mile loop with some great climbing and heart pumping downhill. The next machine built trails will be Cactus Nectar, Iron Goat, Goat re-route and Red Mtn Rampage. We are simultaneously working on Bush Lite, a 3.5 mile trail that runs parallel with Bush Highway, and will truly be a signature trail for all of Hawes. These trails are very different and will add to the already incredible trail system. Who isn’t grateful for new trails, the ability to create new loops and routes – we are stoked.
In this season of gratitude & giving HTA has a small ask. We are super lucky to have landed a professional trail builder, Big Loop Trails. There is an opportunity to keep Big Loop Trails busy most of the winter right here in Hawes building the trails mentioned above for all to enjoy. In order to make this happen HTA is looking for generous donations – any amount will help. To encourage giving we will be designing a killer new zip hoodie, long sleeve t-shirt, and hat – call it a stocking stuffer. Please donate generously if you are able.
- $25 Hat
- $100 Hat & Long Sleeve T-Shirt
- $250 (2)Hats, Long Sleeve T-Shirt, and Zip Hoodie
- $500 (2) Hats, (2) Long Sleeve T-Shirts and Zip Hoodie
Designs will be unveiled soon.
#ILoveHawes Fundraiser Virtual Race
Virtual Race Courses
GET FULL ROUTE DETAILS ON STRAVA
All the DETAILS of the Fundraiser
Why: Hawes Trail Alliance is in the process of raising $20,000 to fund the archeological studies needed to complete the Tonto National Forest approval process for the “Hawes Trail Master Plan” that will expand trails, add parking, and improve the Hawes area for all users. These funds will also provide money required to build rollover gates at the entrances for better access to trails.
How to participate:
- Donate to Hawes Trail Alliance
*When you donate please leave address & shirt size so we can send you HTA swag
- Donation levels and associated swag:
- $50 donation = HTA t-shirt (see HTA Instagram or Facebook for swag pics)
- $75 donation = HTA t-shirt + Hat
- $100 donation = HTA t-shirt + Hat + Camelback bottle
- $250+ donation = HTA t-shirt + Hat + Camelback bottle + socks
- $20 donation for Junior event riders = HTA t-shirt
- Registration to include: name, age category, address, email, shirt size
Optional Virtual Event: As part of Governor Ducey’s “Stay home, stay healthy, stay connected” mandate he also encouraged all to “engage in outdoor exercise activities, such as walking, hiking, running, biking or golfing, but only if appropriate physical distancing practices are used.” Additionally, the Governor said, “The weather is beautiful outside right now! Find a way to get out and enjoy it with social distancing.”
To help promote these efforts, HTA will be hosting a virtual #ilovehawes event via Strava. 5 different courses all set within the Hawes trail system for mountain bikes and runners. This event will take place between Friday April 24th through Sunday May 3rd. During these dates, you can ride/run the course any time that works for you – and do it multiple times to try and improve your time! Please follow social distance guidelines. Cash and prizes will be given out to the top finisher in each category.
- XC MTB event 25-mile with over 3000 feet of climbing (intermediate/advanced)
- XC MTB event “short course”, 15 miles with over 1500 feet of climbing, intermediate to beginner trails
- XC MTB event KIDS event (10-14 yrs old), 7.6 miles with under 1000 feet of climbing
- XC MTB event “short course” KIDS event (6-9 yrs old), 5.6 miles
- 10k+ run event, 7.6 miles with under 1000 feet of climbing
How to enter:
- Donate to Hawes Trail Alliance (website, Venmo, PayPal)
- When you donate list your shirt size, address, age group, and category you wish to enter.
- Join “Hawes Trail Alliance” club on Strava
- Download the course you wish to ride/run to your device via Strava
- Ride/run anytime between April 24th – May 3rd
- Save your ride/run to Strava and make sure to include #ilovehawes in the ride name.
Age Categories: Feel free to race multiple events, but you can only place in one
- Categories: male & female, pro & open, SS, 15-18, 19-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+
- Kids Event: male & female: 6-9 years old, 10-12, 13-14 years old
Additional thoughts & strong recommendations:
This is simply an event to raise much needed cash to complete the approval process with the Tonto National Forest Service of the Hawes Trail Master Plan. Please follow social distance guidelines, trail etiquette, and remember to be kind, no need to get too sendy, as the trails are busier than ever so please be mindful of others. Please ride during times/days when trails are less crowded if you are attempting to lay down a strong time. The early mornings are beautiful and less crowded. We appreciate the support from all the local great bike shops and clubs/teams that have encouraged this event and helped out with donations and swag.
Thanks to all our Supporters!